Azure Dynamics Corp., a developer and producer of hybrid-electric and electric components and powertrain systems for commercial vehicles, announced on Wednesday that it has received orders for 10 new Balance Hybrid Electric shuttle buses.
Five Balance Hybrid Electric shuttle buses were ordered in conjunction with Azure's existing contract established through CALSTART's Hybrid Truck User's Forum (HTUF) and its Small Bus Users Group. The vehicles included in this contract are 23-foot, gasoline-powered hybrid electric cutaway buses using Azure's Balance Hybrid Electric powertrain on the Ford E450 chassis.
The StarTrans Senator Bus body has a passenger capacity of up to 14 riders, including two wheelchair positions. The buses meet the FTA Altoona durability testing protocols for seven years / 200,000 miles service life and are American with Disability Act compliant.
- One unit will be used by TriMet in Portland, Ore., where there are approximately 196,900 weekday bus trips taken every month.
- One unit was ordered by Utah Transit Authority in Salt Lake City which covers more than 1,400 square miles and services passengers in six counties.
- Two additional hybrid shuttle buses were sold through Creative Bus Sales in Chino, Calif., with bodies manufactured by Goshen Coach. The first of the two buses will be deployed in Miramar, Fla., in the Miramar Community Bus Service. The second of the two buses will be used by the Pro Park, the well known commercial off-airport parking operator.
- One bus was sold to River City Transit in Pierre, S.D., to serve as a shuttle bus for local patrons. Harlow's Bus Sales in Rolette, N.D., managed the sale which included a Champion Bus Inc. body.
- Two hybrid shuttle buses were sold by the City of Fargo via North Central Bus Sales in St. Cloud, Minn. The new units will primarily be used by handicap accessible dial-a-ride buses for local pick-up and drop-off sites for the area's local residents.