As part of its ongoing “A Better Ride” campaign, AC Transit has refitted all of its buses with a state-of-the art fare collection system that makes boardings quicker, less confusing and easier to tally.
AC Transit is the first bus company in the U.S. to outfit its entire fleet — 569 buses — with the “talking” high-tech Fast Fare boxes that interact with passengers using full-color, lighted displays and automatic audio responses, according to the transit agency.
The Fast Fare boxes replace the agency’s more bulky, 14-year-old machines that are now obsolete, prone to malfunction and often require costly and difficult repairs. With smaller frames, the new fareboxes leave more room to maneuver, particularly for wheelchairs.
The fareboxes also feature:
- A low failure rate for improved reliability.
- Bill and coin validation for more accurate accounting.
- Faster processing of bills and coins for improved boarding speed.
- Dispenser for Day Passes, effective on July 1.
- Improved, lighted passenger interface with full color display.
- Audio response that assists passengers in paying fares.
- Modular component replacement minimizing repair time and maximizing bus availability.
- Modern design, including advanced features for mobile ticketing and smart cards, if needed for future fare payment options.