NEWARK, N.J. — The AP reported that the NJ Transit board of directors approved about a half-million dollars on an outside consultant to conduct a comprehensive safety review, spurred by a report on the Dec. 1 derailment of a Metro-North train in the Bronx.
The derailment killed four people and injured dozens. In a report issued last month, the Federal Rail Administration said that Metro-North created a culture that prioritized on-time performance over safety.
Veronique Hakim, executive director of NJ Transit, told the AP that she doesn't believe safety has taken a backseat at the agency, but that the review is necessary.
However, Michael Reilly, general chairman of the union that represents about 1,100 conductors and trainmen at NJ Transit, told the news outlet that the transit agency does not emphasize safety. For the full story, click here.