The U.S. Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) announced the appointment of five new members to its Motor Carrier Safety Advisory Committee (MCSAC).
The MCSAC was established by Congress in 2006 to provide advice and recommendations to the FMCSA Administrator on motor carrier safety programs and regulations. Composed of 19 members overall, the MCSAC includes representatives from national safety organizations, the truck and bus industry, state law enforcement, organized labor and the commercial insurance sector.
"We cannot succeed in making transportation safety improvements unless we bring a full and broad range of ideas to the table," said U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. "I am pleased that all of these individuals are lending their expertise and insight to the challenge of reducing — and ultimately eliminating — fatal crashes on our highways and roads involving large trucks and buses. I thank them for their service to our county."
The five new MCSAC members are:
- Robert Abbott, vice president, safety policy, American Trucking Associations.
- Paul Claunch, major, Arkansas Highway Police.
- Henry Jasny, vice president and senior counsel, Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety.
- Janice Mulanix, assistant chief, California Highway Patrol.
- Calvin Studivant, motorcoach driver, Community Coach Inc.