Complete Coach Works
(CCW) debuted its new zero-emission propulsion system (ZEPS) on a remanufactured all-electric transit bus at the 2012 Alternative Clean Transportation Expo in Long Beach, Calif., in mid-May.
The standard 40-foot transit bus is expected to have a range of 120 to 150 miles, which represents a major move towards the range of a diesel bus, says Macy Neshati, VP, sales and marketing for CCW, adding that with that range the bus will meet the route profile of the vast majority of transit systems.
The ZEPS system features a highly integrated design with fewer parts for convenient and fast installation; an integrated controller, with built-in energy management functions; computer-controlled synchronous clutch for long life; and regenerative braking capability all within a compact design, ideal for retrofit purposes.
The remanufactured bus, built to like-new condition, includes numerous updates, including:
- Light weight composite subfloors and brand new flooring
- All new multiplex system and all new wiring
- Completely remanufactured suspension and brake system with all moving and wear items replaced with new
- The differential is remanufactured to OEM specifications
- A like-new interior with new seat upholstery, and side and ceiling panels refinished to the transit systems color schemes
- A redesigned dash featuring a touch screen energy monitoring system
Other retrofit details include a remanufactured chassis frame and structure to like-new condition and the application of high-quality paint and graphics, as well as new tires and wheels, rebuilt windows, door systems and wheelchair ramps.
"We are striving for a price point of of roughly $475,000 to $500,000 for The fully rehabbed bus with the ZEPS drive, half of what a new electric bus would cost," said Neshati.
The prototype vehicle is currently undergoing a month of testing.
If retrofitting a transit bus into electric that was previously diesel isn't impressive enough; the company did the retrofit in ten days. To see a time-lapse video of the Complete Coach Works installation, click here.