Security and Safety

NTSB report criticizes D.C. Metro, first-responders, FTA on fatal smoke incident

Posted on May 3, 2016

WMATA
WMATA

WASHINGTON, D.C. — National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) Chairman Christopher Hart said little has changed at Metro more than a year after the Jan. 12, 2015, smoke crisis in a tunnel near Metro’s L’Enfant Plaza station that killed one person and injured scores more, The Washington Post reported. Hart issued the criticism during a Tuesday meeting to present findings about the probable cause of the incident.

Passengers on the smoke-filled train waited more than 35 minutes for help to arrive, officials have said. One complication was a delay by Metro’s Rail Operations Control Center in placing an emergency 911 call after a train operator reported smoke and fire in the tunnel, according to the report.



Hart also had harsh words for the Federal Transit Administration (FTA), saying that, “Despite new authorities, the FTA remained – and remains – averse to crafting and enforcing safety regulations and minimum requirements regarding operations, track and equipment and signal and train control systems,” according to The Washington Post.

For the full story, click here.

View comments or post a comment on this story. (0 Comments)

More News

NY MTA bus drivers have reported nearly 1,000 threats this year

Drivers and union officials said an untold number of incidents never get reported. Last year, MTA bus drivers filed 1,466 reports of threats and harassment.

NTSB opens docket on 2015's Calif. Metrolink crash

The accident happened when a commuter train carrying 51 passengers and three crewmembers, collided with a 2005 Ford F450 utility service truck towing a two-axle utility trailer.

FTA releases rail vehicle securement report, issues WMATA safety directive

The investigation uncovered a lack of compliance with WMATA’s internal rules and procedures for unattended rail vehicle securement for both revenue passenger trains and maintenance machines and equipment located in rail yards.

FRA, AAR letter urges Pokemon creators to keep players off tracks

Letter stems from concern about reports that Pokémon characters, “Pokestops” and other virtual objects are being placed near railroad tracks, stations and rail-yard facilities

Man charged for hopping on subway tracks for Pokémon Go video

Toronto Transit Commission spokesman Brad Ross said Mark Correia, 20, has been charged with unauthorized access on subway tracks, which carries a set fine of $425.

See More News

Post a Comment

Post Comment

Comments (0)

More From The World's Largest Fleet Publisher

Automotive Fleet

The Car and truck fleet and leasing management magazine

Business Fleet

managing 10-50 company vehicles

Fleet Financials

Executive vehicle management

Government Fleet

managing public sector vehicles & equipment

TruckingInfo.com

THE COMMERCIAL TRUCK INDUSTRY’S MOST IN-DEPTH INFORMATION SOURCE

Work Truck Magazine

The number 1 resource for vocational truck fleets

Schoolbus Fleet

Serving school transportation professionals in the U.S. and Canada

LCT Magazine

Global Resource For Limousine and Bus Transportation

Please sign in or register to .    Close