Office of Gov. Andrew Cuomo

Office of Gov. Andrew Cuomo

NEW YORK CITY — Gov. Andrew Cuomo said the rising number of sexual-offense reports on the New York City subway was “completely unacceptable” in a letter sent Tuesday to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, The Wall Street Journal reported.

New York Police Department officials said Monday that there have been 458 reported sex crimes in the subway through Monday compared with 299 through the same period last year, a 53% increase, according to the report. Those violations include taking inappropriate video or photos, unwanted touching and public lewdness. Those figures don’t include rape.

In his letter to the MTA, Gov. Cuomo ordered "the MTA to take all steps available to strengthen patrols in the subway system, including the use of more plainclothes officers to crack down on this sort of depraved behavior, and to work directly with the NYPD’s Transit Bureau to reassure riders and enforce the rule of law in light of these disturbing statistics."

For the full story, click here.

0 Comments