Spanish-based Irizar was on hand at UMA Expo 2016 in Atlanta this week to unveil its new i6 motorcoach to the U.S. market, which will be sold through an exclusive distribution deal with INA Bus Sales.
The two versions of the i6 model on display were 45-foot long integral coaches with a Cummins engine and Allison automatic transmission. The i6 models are available in a height of either 12.23 or 12.89 ft. and have been fully developed to the needs of North American operators, complying with all U.S. DOT requirements and manufactured entirely in the European Union.
With fuel a major cost for operators, Irizar has made great efforts to reduce consumption. The new generation of Cummins ISX engines with reduced internal friction, modified fuel injection system and other refinements, have significantly reduced fuel consumption.
The software of the 6-speed Allison B500 transmission automatically selects the ideal gear. Additionally, the aerodynamic design of the vehicle creates a low air friction coefficient thanks to a narrower front with less air intake. These features, along with the design of the spare wheel cowling, alloy wheels and a lighter overall weight achieved by using high-tensile steels, all contribute to the efficiency of the Irizar i6 and our aim to be best in class when it comes to fuel economy in the luxury coach sector.
Meanwhile, the structure of the Irizar i6 has been designed taking into consideration the vehicle’s resistance to frontal collision and roll-overs, compliant with the R66.01 safety regulation.
The structural strength and torsional rigidity have been improved, as well as the load and weight distribution, providing greater driving stability.
It also offers a more spacious and ergonomic driving position, with integrated dashboard screens for all the driver´s functions.
Additionally, the Irizar i6 includes the following reliability improvements:
- Composite pultrusion technology in side panels. Clean and straight exterior lines.
- Robust door opening systems.
- Ruggedized and proven luggage door opening mechanism.
- Easy open tag and drive axle fenders.
- Spacious and robust aluminum luggage racks.
- LED technology lights for the exterior and interior (ceiling and aisle) of the coach.
- Light luggage compartment covers equipped with door check systems and fitted with SMC materials.
- Stainless steel aisle floor register covers to access the engine area.
- Optimal climate control equipment.
Irizar officials told METRO Magazine that more than 3,000 vehicles are currently in operation on five continents throughout the world, with the company set to announce its first U.S. operation shortly.