Amtrak announced for employees to receive the COVID-19 vaccine in an effort to enhance safety protocols.
In addition to the employees vaccine mandate, there are other efforts by Amtrak for safe travel. This includes upgrades to the Amtrak app. Customers can book, get boarding information, and check train status from a mobile device on the app. They can also receive real-time information before boarding.
Amtrak says it is focusing on making the travel experience touch free with contactless boarding, scanning tickets directly from the mobile app, and the installation of new kiosks.
Amtrak has partnered with Lysol to reinforce disinfection protocols, utilized EPA-registered cleaning products, and improved cleaning on commonly used surfaces.
The company has listed other ways it is improving the safety protocols:
- Face coverings: Federal law requires all customers and employees to always wear a mask while onboard trains and in stations, regardless of vaccination status or state or local laws. Refusing to wear a mask is a violation of federal law; passengers may be subject to penalties under federal law, denied boarding, removed from the train, and banned from future travel in the event of noncompliance.
- Private rooms: Offered on many routes, private rooms offer the perfect option for customers seeking privacy and space on a short trip and added comfort and amenities when traveling overnight.
- Real-time seat availability: Amtrak is no longer limiting capacity. When searching for travel, the percentage of seats sold displays next to each trip option and adjusts as more reservations are made, which gives customers the opportunity to book a train that is less crowded. If capacity exceeds comfort levels, customers can change their ticket without incurring a fee (a fare difference may apply).
- Fee waivers: Amtrak is waiving all change fees for reservations made by Sept. 6. The removal of some restrictions on Multi-Ride tickets on the Northeast Corridor is extended through Sept. 6.
- Seamless gate service: To reduce crowds at departure boards, Amtrak app users automatically receive boarding gate and track information via push notification at select stations.
- Follow Guidance on Safe Travel: Do not travel when you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms or when you meet public health criteria for quarantine. Before traveling on Amtrak, review state-specific travel advisories and restrictions that may be in place for travel to your destination.
See all comments