Accessibility

Las Vegas' RTC opens Mobility Training Center

Posted on October 27, 2014

(L to R): Opportunity Village Executive Director Ed Guthrie, RTC GM Tina Quigley, Sen. Harry Reid and Opportunity Village Foundation President Bob Brown celebrate the groundbreaking of the future Mobility Training Center. (Courtesy RTC)
(L to R): Opportunity Village Executive Director Ed Guthrie, RTC GM Tina Quigley, Sen. Harry Reid and Opportunity Village Foundation President Bob Brown celebrate the groundbreaking of the future Mobility Training Center. (Courtesy RTC)
Las Vegas’ Regional Transportation Commission of Southern Nevada (RTC) and U.S. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) celebrated the groundbreaking of the RTC’s new Mobility Training Center (MTC). The MTC will help Southern Nevadans, especially senior residents and persons with disabilities move more independently throughout our community.

At the MTC, the RTC will provide its Transit Mobility services, a free one-on-one or group training program, to local residents especially persons with disabilities and senior citizens. The MTC will teach residents how to use the RTC fixed route transit services safely and will provide them with the confidence necessary to travel independently.

The MTC will be the headquarters for the RTC’s Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) paratransit certification program that is designed for individuals who experience physical, cognitive, or visual impairments and who are functionally unable to use the RTC’s fixed-route transit services independently. Upon receiving ADA paratransit certification, eligible individuals can then utilize the RTC’s Paratransit services, providing them with the freedom to travel to various destinations throughout Southern Nevada.

The RTC’s ADA certification team currently sees 450 clients per month. At the new MTC, the RTC anticipates it will be able to serve an additional 150 clients per month.

Funding from the Federal Transit Administration will account for $5.4 million — approximately 80% — of the project’s $6.7 million cost. The RTC will fund the remaining 20%, $1.3 million.

The new 14,700-plus sq. ft. facility will be located next to the RTC’s Sunset Maintenance Facility, near the 215-Beltway and Decatur Avenue. The MTC will be built over the next 12 months with an expected opening in fall 2015.

View comments or post a comment on this story. (0 Comments)

More News

Q’Straint to supply Quantum, Q’POD securement systems for ABQ Ride’s BRT system

Benefits of the Quantum rear-facing solution include shorter dwell times at stops; little or no involvement of bus operators; less likelihood of operator injury; and fewer instances of operators being placed in awkward working positions.

Q'Straint to host 'Emerging Trends in Wheelchair Transportation' webinar

Presentation will explore developing ridership and securement dilemmas facing transit providers, and examine how emerging technologies and recent regulatory changes are addressing the previous short comings of primitive securement applications.

How to Write Effective Mass Transit System Policies

Solid policies — whether for employees or riders — are the backbone of any transportation agency’s operations.

Denver RTD to enhance wheelchair securement area, access on LRVs

As a part of this effort, RTD will be altering the seating design of current and new light rail vehicles. The retrofit includes removing a set of seats next to the current wheelchair areas, which will open up the designated area for easier access.

KCATA set to launch new ridehailing service May 1

The one-year RideKC Freedom On-Demand pilot enables customers to call on taxis any day, at any hour, to enjoy everything Kansas City has to offer.

See More News

Post a Comment

Post Comment

Comments (0)

More From The World's Largest Fleet Publisher

Automotive Fleet

The Car and truck fleet and leasing management magazine

Business Fleet

managing 10-50 company vehicles

Fleet Financials

Executive vehicle management

Government Fleet

managing public sector vehicles & equipment

TruckingInfo.com

THE COMMERCIAL TRUCK INDUSTRY’S MOST IN-DEPTH INFORMATION SOURCE

Work Truck Magazine

The number 1 resource for vocational truck fleets

Schoolbus Fleet

Serving school transportation professionals in the U.S. and Canada

LCT Magazine

Global Resource For Limousine and Bus Transportation

Please sign in or register to .    Close