Bus

MBTA to extend anti-sexual assault, harassment program

Posted on April 4, 2013

The Boston Area Rape Crisis Center, Fenway Health and the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) formed a partnership that will help continue the initiative started in 2008 regarding sexual assault and harassment on the MBTA.

The MBTA has been previously recognized for this campaign and is highlighting a renewed effort to send a clear, strong message that inappropriate behavior and illegal sexual touching will not be tolerated.

The campaign hopes to empower the riding public to report such incidents and take action to prevent them. The campaign continues to let riders know that the MBTA and the MBTA Transit Police take this seriously and will arrest and prosecute offenders. Posters will be going up in the trains and busses to highlight the renewed campaign

“I want to thank the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center and Fenway Health for working closely with our police department,” said MBTA GM Beverly Scott. “Strong community partnerships are an important part of our ongoing efforts to maintain a safe transit environment for all of our customers.”

“We want our customers to know that they should not tolerate this behavior. We suggest they immediately call attention to the situation and let other passengers know what is occurring,” said Chief Paul MacMillan of the Transit Police. “If possible, they should take a picture of the offender if it is safe to do so. We also want to ensure they make a report to the Transit Police.”

RELATED ARTICLE: Check out, "N.Y. to boost efforts to curb sexual harassment on subway."

View comments or post a comment on this story. (0 Comments)

Post a Comment

Post Comment

Comments (0)

Please sign in or register to .    Close