Management & Operations

OCTA increases train service, rail safety

Posted on November 5, 2007

The Orange County Transportation Authority (OCTA) is increasing countywide Metrolink service and implementing a rail-highway crossing enhancement program to accommodate the anticipated growth of commuter rail and freight trains throughout Southern California.  


By 2009, Metrolink service will run every 30 minutes, between 5 a.m. to 10 p.m., within the county. As part of the expansion, OCTA and 20 local cities have partnered to implement Go Local, a program to develop feeder service from Metrolink stations to key destinations within a community. Service expansion is expected to cost $382.5 million and is funded by Measure M, the county’s half-cent sales transportation tax.  


The OCTA board of directors also recently approved a $60 million program to enhance rail safety at all 53 grade crossings countywide. Measure M will fund 88 percent of the rail safety program and the remaining 12 percent will be funded by nine participating cities.  


Countywide improvements will emphasize pedestrian safety enhancements at rail-highway crossings and include supplemental safety measures needed to establish noise reduction of locomotive horns in quiet zones. Rail enhancements are expected to be completed in three years, allowing cities to apply for federal quiet zone status.

View comments or post a comment on this story. (0 Comments)

More News

Deadline extended for Innovative Solutions Award submissions

Applications can be submitted either by the operation or the solutions provider and will be judged by our BusCon Advisory Board, with winners and shortlisted submissions recognized at BusCon’s Award Breakfast on Wednesday, Sept. 13.

Calif.'s GCTD breaks ground on ops, maintenance facility

The new facility will replace an outdated and deteriorating bus garage located on a three-acre site that was originally built in the 1970’s for a much smaller fleet.

London most expensive city to commute to work via public transit

New York City comes in it at No. 4 at a cost of approximately $120 per month, with Chicago and San Francisco at $102.10 and $86.10 per month, respectively.

Late U2 concert leaves transit officials upset over costs

The Wednesday night concert, which didn't wrap up until 11 p.m., forced the Valley Transportation Authority to add 11 extra after-hours trains to accommodate concertgoers.

Video shows Metro Transit officer asking about immigration status

Metro Transit Police Chief Harrington said in a statement that it's not his agency's practice to inquire about immigration status and has asked for an internal investigation into the encounter.

See More News

Post a Comment

Post Comment

Comments (0)

More From The World's Largest Fleet Publisher

Automotive Fleet

The Car and truck fleet and leasing management magazine

Business Fleet

managing 10-50 company vehicles

Fleet Financials

Executive vehicle management

Government Fleet

managing public sector vehicles & equipment

TruckingInfo.com

THE COMMERCIAL TRUCK INDUSTRY’S MOST IN-DEPTH INFORMATION SOURCE

Work Truck Magazine

The number 1 resource for vocational truck fleets

Schoolbus Fleet

Serving school transportation professionals in the U.S. and Canada

LCT Magazine

Global Resource For Limousine and Bus Transportation

Please sign in or register to .    Close