In a continuing effort to improve the customer experience, NJ TRANSIT is taking steps to modernize the fare payment system and offer additional payment options. The proposed upgrades seek to reduce cash and paper-based tickets while providing customers with quick, easy, and convenient ways to pay.
“Improving the customer experience has been at the top of my priority list,” said NJ TRANSIT Executive Director Kevin Corbett. “Giving customers the ability to utilize the latest technology to pay fares offers a major convenience to them and multiple benefits including easier payment options, speeding up boarding, and making our collection systems more efficient and up to date.”
A contract renewal approved by the NJ TRANSIT board of directors earlier this year with Conduent Transportation, a business unit of Conduent Inc. of Florham Park, N.J., includes provisions to accept mobile payments, open bank cards, and a NJ TRANSIT fare card.
The contract allows NJ TRANSIT and Conduent to develop the future of fare payment systems within the NJ TRANSIT system including:
- The acceptance of mobile payments and open contactless bank cards.
- A new contactless NJ TRANSIT fare card with options to add cash value to the card at local retailers.
- Customer account management through the NJ TRANSIT App or online.
- Installation of more than 2,500 validators on the bus fleet and on light rail platforms to accept the contactless fare card, mobile payments, and barcodes.
- Upgrades to TVMs, ticket office machines and the MyTix sales feature of the Mobile App.
These emerging technologies will incorporate an account-based system where customers can manage their account, view ride and ticket history, check balances, and add value. Customers who do not have access to mobile payments or contactless bank cards, will achieve the same level of convenience using a contactless NJ TRANSIT fare card. As a result, all customers will experience greater convenience with a tap and ride feel.
The current electronic ticketing through the Mobile App will continue to be used, upgraded, and expanded. The contactless fare card is a great option for our cash customers and would be a complement to the NJ TRANSIT Mobile App, MyTix ticketing.