Following a thorough inspection completed this weekend of the entire Metro SubwayLink, the Maryland Department of Transportation Maryland Transit Administration (MDOT MTA) Administrator Kevin Quinn determined the entire system will need to remain closed for up to four weeks, through March 11, to ensure the safety of all customers.
After working with bus contractors since Friday morning’s rail closure, the Hogan Administration announced $2.2 million in emergency funding to run shuttle bus bridges to transport riders along the Metro SubwayLink route. These shuttle buses are in addition to the existing BaltimoreLink bus options at each station provided by CityLink and LocalLink routes. The weekend inspection of the entire system was conducted after routine inspections last week determined the elevated track from Owings Mills to West Cold Spring would be closed for several weeks to replace track in advance of the planned summer replacement project. As sections of the Metro SubwayLink are repaired and made available for use, MDOT MTA will evaluate a partial reopening of the system.
“Safety is our top priority,” said Quinn. “With bus bridges, we will be able to do the necessary rail repairs to reopen our system as quickly as possible while still providing our customers with critical access to work, school, medical facilities, and leisure activities.”
"On behalf of our citizens who rely daily on the Metro SubwayLink system for their transport needs, I want to express our gratitude to the Hogan Administration for this emergency funding we requested to provide dedicated buses that will travel the Metro SubwayLink route,” said Mayor Catherine E. Pugh. “It is important that we do everything possible to mitigate the inconvenience of prolonged disruption of the Metro SubwayLink service.”