The San Diego Metropolitan Transit System (MTS) board approved a new bus services contract agreement with Transdev Services Inc.
The six-year agreement includes two two-year options that could bring the total value of the contract to $911 million over 10 years. The contract was awarded after a competitive bidding process.
Under this agreement, Transdev will operate 52 of 95 bus route services from MTS bus divisions in Chula Vista and El Cajon, using MTS buses and branding. In FY 2020, 19.5 million passengers were carried by MTS out of these two divisions. Transdev has been under contract with MTS to provide similar services for the past 13 years.
As part of the new contract, MTS will provide 332 buses and two state-of-the-art Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certified facilities for operations, maintenance, and fueling. The contract also includes funding for more than 750 represented and 65 non-represented employees in the San Diego region.
Some priorities for the new contract include:
- Assisting MTS’ mission to convert to a zero-emissions bus fleet.
- Integrating the new fare collection system, PRONTO, next year.
- Participating in I-805 Bus on Shoulder Operation (3-year pilot/SANDAG).
- Continue operating South Bay Rapid (Otay Mesa to Downtown San Diego).
- Maintaining a strong focus on key performance indicators like on-time performance, safety, and customer service.
See all comments