Latinos In Transit (LIT) announced the application deadline for its Leadership Academy class of 2023 is quickly approaching. Those interested need to submit an application before the Sunday, Jan. 15, 2023 deadline. The Leadership Academy is career development training curated and facilitated by transportation industry leaders and consists of four virtual training and development program areas:
- Making of An Executive
- Leading in Middle Management
- New Careers in Transit
- Transit Board Leadership
This year, LIT is especially excited to promote its Transit Board Leadership program track as part of the academy. Many companies and organizations that LIT serves operate under the governance of a board of directors. LIT believes it is important that those at the top continue to expand their knowledge of the transit industry and their role as a board member for the organization they serve.
The program track provides a valuable opportunity for transit board development and is intended for those new to the transit industry, providing a background of the industry and issues that are critical to policy decisions.
"Transit Board Members will benefit greatly from the LIT Leadership Academy as policy and decision makers," said Aida Berduo Berry, LIT Leadership Academy Program Coordinator.
The program track consists of five modules, including:
- Transit 101: Overview of the transit industry and the role it plays in the community.
- My Role in Policy Decisions: Importance of the role each board member plays in policy decisions intended to achieve the agency goals.
- Fiscal Responsibility: Overview of budget and financial tracking. It will expand on the financial responsibility of transit employees leading during difficult financial times.
- Procurement and Contract Management: Provides deep insight on the importance of procurement and contract management for agencies receiving federal and state funding.
- Understanding Compliance and Regulatory Requirements: Focus on federal requirements impacting civil rights programs (Americans with Disabilities Act, Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE), Title VI and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, Environmental Justice regulations, Transit Asset Management (TAM), Safety Management Systems (SMS) and Public Transportation Agency Safety Plan (PTASP), Transit Asset Management (TAM), Safety Management Systems (SMS) and Public Transportation Agency Safety Plan (PTASP), and Buy America.
Thirty five Leadership Academy participants will gain an in-depth understanding of public transportation and learn about management practices, finance, procurement, labor relations, and regulatory compliance. Each of the areas consist of five modules. There will be one module held each month (3.5 hours) for a period of five months starting in March 2023. The modules will be taught virtually by industry leaders. There will be a team project and presentation required to graduate from the academy.
LIT members receive priority consideration into the program as a membership benefit, making this a perfect time to join the organization for development opportunities such as this, among other benefits.
To access the application and for more information about the 2023 Leadership Academy, or on becoming a member of Latinos In Transit, click here.