ABB is accelerating its growth strategy in the U.S. by investing approximately $170 million and creating highly skilled jobs in manufacturing, innovation, and distribution operations.
The company is committed to growing in the U.S. by investing in its electrification and automation businesses that meet increased demand from industry-leading customers, while supporting the clean energy transition and the trend toward reshoring of production, according to a press release. This commitment is highlighted by the pouring of concrete foundations for a greenfield drives and services facility in New Berlin, Wis.
“The United States is critical to ABB’s success as a market that will continue to grow and benefit from our product portfolio that enables the transition to a more energy-efficient future,” said Björn Rosengren, CEO of ABB. “Currently, 85 percent of ABB’s sales in the US are from products produced locally, which provides customers with a more secure supply chain and keeps good-paying manufacturing jobs in America.”
ABB technology touches every sector of the economy, from transportation to utilities to buildings. Recently passed legislation like the Inflation Reduction Act, CHIPS Act, and Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, gives ABB confidence to invest in manufacturing capacity, distribution systems and technology innovation to bring products and services closer to customers.
Investment projects underway across the US include:
- New Berlin, Wis.: Opening of Drives and Services manufacturing facility will increase U.S. production capacity of industrial electric drives and provide additional customer services. The business manufactures a wide range of AC variable frequency drives and controls, which reduce energy consumption in buildings and industrial applications in the U.S. market. The nearly $100 million greenfield investment is expected to be completed in late 2024 and is replacing a neighboring existing facility, which employs approximately 720 workers. Some 100 new jobs will be added over the next three years.
- Memphis: Investing $3 million in the opening of an Installation Products Research & Development Lab and Innovation Center to accelerate development of new products. ABB remains the seventh-largest private employer in Memphis.
- Atlanta: Opening of packaging and logistics facility for end-to-end robotic automation solutions in warehouse and distribution, retail, and logistics industries. This $2 million investment will open in 2023 and create approximately 15 jobs.
- Albuquerque: Previously announced $40 million investment in a new facility to manufacture Elastimold, the leading brand for underground cable accessories, to support strengthening a more sustainable U.S. electrical grid. It underpins ABB’s commitment to improve reliability and resilience of the U.S. infrastructure and assure greater safety for the American consumers, businesses, and communities. The investment will create 55 new jobs and will be completed by 2024.
- Auburn Hills, Mich.: Previously announced expansion of North American robotics headquarters and manufacturing facility as more customers turn to automation to build resilience while improving efficiency and flexibility as part of the near and reshoring of production. The $20 million investment will create 72 jobs and be completed by the end of 2023.
- Lehigh Valley, Pa.: Previously announced opening of Installation Products Division Northeast Distribution Center in 2023. This more than $4 million investment will create more than 100 jobs and further regionalize ABB’s global supply chain to help reduce delivery times of high-demand electrification products to contractors by up to 50%.
- Columbia, S.C.: Previously announced opening of electric vehicle charger manufacturing facility to build up to 10,000 chargers per year, ranging from 20kW to 180kW in power, to support operators building the national charging infrastructure. ABB E-mobility’s investment will create over 100 jobs.
Since 2010, ABB has invested $14 billion in U.S. plant expansions, operational improvements, state-of-the-art equipment, products, and people, making it the company’s largest market. With approximately 20,000 employees in more than 40 manufacturing and distribution facilities, ABB is investing, growing, and serving customers across America through industries that create jobs, encourage innovation, and achieve a more productive, sustainable future.